Archive for the ‘Ubuntu’ Category
After a long battle a solution is here!
Disclaimer: Use at your own risk! Worked on clean 12.04 install.
First of all we used a script taken from: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=636724&page=2
#!/bin/bash #modded by japzone if [[ -z "$1" ]]; then echo "Syntax: $0 debfile" exit 1 fi DEBFILE="$1" TMPDIR=`mktemp -d /tmp/deb.XXXXXXXXXX` || exit 1 OUTPUT=`basename "$DEBFILE" .deb`.modfied.deb if [[ -e "$OUTPUT" ]]; then echo "$OUTPUT exists." rm -r "$TMPDIR" exit 1 fi dpkg-deb -x "$DEBFILE" "$TMPDIR" dpkg-deb --control "$DEBFILE" "$TMPDIR"/DEBIAN if [[ ! -e "$TMPDIR"/DEBIAN/control ]]; then echo DEBIAN/control not found. rm -r "$TMPDIR" exit 1 fi CONTROL="$TMPDIR"/DEBIAN/control MOD=`stat -c "%y" "$CONTROL"` gedit "$CONTROL" read -p "Press any key once you've finished editing and saved" if [[ "$MOD" == `stat -c "%y" "$CONTROL"` ]]; then echo Not modfied. else echo Building new deb... dpkg -b "$TMPDIR" "$OUTPUT" fi rm -r "$TMPDIR"
The script above saved as debedit.sh and given execute permissions by
chmod u+x debedit.sh
Packages downloaded by:
apt-get download libpq4 php-5.3-imap-zend-server
Then edited dependencies by:
./debedit.sh libpq4_8.1.17-0etch1_amd64.deb ./debedit.sh php-5.3-imap-zend-server_5.3.9+b260_amd64.deb
In the “Depends” line of each of them changed libkrb53 to libkrb5-3
After that installed each of the modified packages:
dpkg -i libpq4_8.1.17-0etch1_amd64.modfied.deb dpkg -i php-5.3-imap-zend-server_5.3.9+b260_amd64.modfied.deb
And then, finally, installed the zend server by:
apt-get install zend-server-ce-php-5.3
WOW! It Works!!!
This is continued from: Zend Server broken on Ubuntu 12.04
I have contacted Zend founder Zeev and a friend of mine who have 2 servers running Zend Server Enterprise contacted Zend support.
The official response right now it: There is no ETA but because of the big interest we are looking at it.
I have checked the fix provided on Zend Forums (link) and using it it works, but you can not use imap any more, so if you have an applicaiton that uses it, dont install it.
But what I did found interesting is that the problem only occurs when you re enable Zend repositories after the upgrade, so if you made the upgrade to Ubuntu Precise with Zend Server installed you can continue to use it, just leave the repositories off.
In any case my advice is NOT to update to the new Ubuntu untill this is sorted out or to switch to a different LAMP stack.
User brinleyang on Zend forums has posted a temporary fix for the bug Zend introduced in their server on Ubuntu 12.04.
What he did is he created a quick hack and removed the dependency on libkrb in libpq and php-5.3-imap-zend-server deb packages and manually installed the packages after which installing zend server ce should work.
However, this will most likely break postgres and imap zend modules so it may not be the solution for people who require those modules.
You can follow the post here:
To all of us using Zend Server on Ubuntu DONT update to the latest version 12.04 (at least until they will fix it!).
As of now, although they have this posted as a bug from January it’s impossible to use Zend Server 5.6 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
zend-server-php-5.3 : Depends: php-5.3-common-extensions-zend-server but it is not going to be installed
The problem is seams is in libkrb53 which was a dummy for libkrb5-3 in previous versions and is no longer supported.
There is no known overrides as of now.
Since the install of Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) my MySQL Workbench was mostly unusable. I could not open it normally and Query Browser was not accessible. Finally a few days ago a patch was summited to the MySQL forum, but it was for a self compile version only.
Today I found a debian repository that maintains MySQL Workbench gpl and the fix is already implemented there. In order to update it use next commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:olivier-berten/misc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mysql-workbench-gpl
Now we have a debian repository for MySQL Workbench and a version that will work on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)
I have got a micro instance on Amazon. For some reason ones in a while it’s CPU is topping up and the only thing I can do about it at that moment is Hard Reboot.
I have been trying to catch that sucker for the past half a year, set up Nagios to monitor when it is failing but no avail.
On the same server I have got a Magento Store (Nes Jewellery) and I noticed that ones Baide spider was on the server it was running slow. I fixed the spider problem but have left an open terminal with TOP working on it and forgot about it.
Yesterday I am getting a notification from Nagios that my instance is down. I have checked my terminal and the TOP was stuck on the last information he got and the top CPU killer was “update-apt-xapi”. This is a partial string from “update-apt-xapian-index” a part of the “apt-xapian-index” package.
What it turned out, Ubuntu (starting from version 10.04 and up to 11.04 at least) has an error in the cron script for apt update. But on a single CPU with limited memory that was critical!
The fix for this is really simple (and it’s stated that it’s included in 11.10). You need to edit 2 cron files (dont forget to have root permissions for that)
First is /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index
# Rebuild the index
if [ -x $CMD ]
if [ -x $IONICE ]
nice -n 19 $IONICE -c 3 $CMD --update --quiet
nice -n 19 $CMD --update --quiet
The second file is /etc/cron.daily/apt
if [ -x /usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index ]; then
nice -n 19 ionice -c3 update-apt-xapian-index --update -q
Now all is left is to see that there is no more calls like that.