Alex (SirShurf) Frenkel's Blog

A web log of a PHP professional

My First WordPress commertial grade plugin – Gravity Form Popup Widget

with 13 comments

Well, today I have uploaded my first commercial grade WordPress plug-in to the WordPress.org website.

The plug-in is an extension to the most useful Form Generator to WordPress. This plug-in simply adds the form in a widget inside a jQuery UI Dialogue module. And adds a delay to it (the delay is managed from the Widgets management screen).

Another thing added is an option to add a text before the form with an option to insert page title in a text.

The plug-in is located here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-popup-widget/

Any comments are welcomed.

Advertisements

Written by Alex (Shurf) Frenkel

October 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm

13 Responses

1. Hi There, nice widget in theory, although i am not quite sure of the point of it, rather than have the pop-up box show on a delay, it would be far more usefull to have it so it can generate a link/button via a shortcode on a page or widget, so you could say have a pricing page then a book now button, which would open the pop-up.

As it is at the moment i dont think i can really use it, its a shame because the idea of having the form show up in a pop-up is a great idea, just needs some extra little functionality in how to get the pop-up to display.

Dizzy Bryan High

October 29, 2011 at 10:57 am

• also a couple of things, the donate link from the description tag in the plug-in directory gives a 404 and in the control panel the visit plug-in site has the : missing from the link i.e its http//wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-popup-widget/

Dizzy Bryan High

October 29, 2011 at 11:00 am

• You are right, but I did not really thought that anybody will use it in the same day I posted it 🙂

Created the page and the link.

Alex (Shurf) Frenkel

October 29, 2011 at 11:35 am

• Well, I can add the functionality if you will explain what exactly you mean by it.

The original need for this was really simple, one of my clients wanted a simple option:
      When a client was on the same page for more then 20 seconds to show him “Contact Us” form from Gravity Forms. The heading of this popup should have had introduction text with the name of the page you are standing in.

Alex (Shurf) Frenkel

October 29, 2011 at 11:34 am

2. Hi,
    is there a demo somewhere? Or some screenshots? Not 100% sure what the plugin does….
    Anyway, will just try it out one day.

On another matter:
    how does your commenting system work? Is it a plug-in? I like the different options/buttons that you can choose to leave the comment!

saschapaukner

November 10, 2011 at 11:43 am

• The demo is not up right now, but I will put it up on a client site when he start using it.

About the commenting sistem, it’s not mine it’s wordpress.com, so I dont really know how it works… bit I do like it and would be glad to have it for my clients too..

Alex (Shurf) Frenkel

November 22, 2011 at 11:50 am

• If you want a demo:

I have installed it and for me I find it really useful. My WP post pages are very jquery intensive and all the other plugins I tried broke my pages.

I only wanted to embed a Gravity form on the post pages anyway so this was IDEAL for my use and I’m sure I will use again many times.

I want to set position absolute for the popup to stay in the bottom right corner of the window. I can’t find the CSS anywhere, any clues please?

Great plugin, thanks.
        Andy

andy

December 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm

• The positioning of the dialogue is actually a thing of JQuery Dialogue…

Currently I am not passing to it anything… but it’s a good Idea to pass position to it!!!

I will make a new version today!

Alex (Shurf) Frenkel

December 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm

3. Notify me!

saschapaukner

November 10, 2011 at 11:43 am

4. Alex,

Awesome work! But an option at the page level to select a form to put in the popup would be even better. What happens if you have 3 different popups you want to display?

For instance, on the blog posts – sign up for email blog posts
    On product page – buy now, etc, etc

Also – electing to have it turned on or off on a page by page basis makes more sense.

Other options like – don’t show this popup to the same person or show this to someone who has hit 3 pages would also be sweet!

ckluis

November 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

• I will take your ideas into account… Thanks…
      It was just something one of my clients needed and I developed it per need.

Alex (Shurf) Frenkel

November 22, 2011 at 11:48 am

5. Hi,

Installed this for one of my clients WP blogs, but cant find a dialogue box anywhere in the dashboard to actually configure the popup or any documentation. Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Luke

November 23, 2011 at 3:47 am

• This plugin is the extention to Gravity Form Widgets, and as such the configuration is located in the Widgets.

Alex (Shurf) Frenkel